While summer activities might look a bit different this year, there’s never been a better time for readers to improve their home bartending game with simple recipes using top-quality spirits. With options including an All-American whiskey and vodka, a New York-made gin, several varieties of rum, and a whiskey BBQ sauce, we have you covered! We even have ready-to-enjoy canned cocktails for those who would prefer to skip the mixing.
Cutwater Spirits Bali Hai Daiquiri
- 2oz Cutwater Bali Hai Tiki Gold Rum
- 1oz fresh lime juice
- .75oz simple syrup
Directions: Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into an up glass or on the rocks. Garnish with a lime wheel.
Cutwater Spirits The Bali Hai
- 2oz Bali Hai Tiki Gold Rum
- 3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2oz Ginger Syrup
- 2oz Fresh Orange Juice
- Angostura Bitters
Method: Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Strain over ice in a tall glass, then garnish with a lime wheel. Add a straw and finish with 6 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Woodford Reserve Porch Swing
- 1 ½ oz Woodford Reserve Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- 1/2 oz Honey
- 6 ozs Peach Tea
Directions: Combine ingredients into a tall glass and stir. Garnish with a slice of peach or lemon wheel.
Woodford Reserve Thoroughbred
- 1-1/2 oz Woodford Reserve®
- 6 oz ginger beer
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a mule mug with ice and stir gently. Garnish with lime.
Starward Two-Fold & Ginger
- 1 oz Starward Two-Fold
- 3.4 oz Ginger Ale
- 1 Orange Wedge to garnish
Method: Add whiskey to a highball glass, fill with ice and top with ginger ale. Garnish with a slice of orange
Starward Two-Fold & Tonic
- 1 part Starward Two-Fold
- 3 parts light tonic (we prefer Fever-Tree)
- Ruby grapefruit
Directions: Build in a Collins glass, add ice, and stir. Garnish with a wedge of ruby grapefruit.
Proper Twelve Mule
- 2 ozs Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey
- .5 oz lime juice
- 3 ozs ginger beer
- Lime wedge
Directions: Add ice to a copper mug. Add Proper No. Twelve Whiskey, lime juice and ginger beer to the glass
Garnish with a lime wedge.
The Proper Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 cup Proper No. Twelve Whiskey
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 3 cups Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/3 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
Directions: Bring it to a boil in a saucepot. Let it simmer for 20 minutes. Serve.
Proper Peppercorn Steak Sauce
- 2 tbsp Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey
- 1 tbsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Cook steak to your liking, then remove and cover while you make the sauce.
- Add peppercorns to the same pan used to cook the steak and heat for 1-2 min.
- Add shallots, garlic and 1 tbsp butter. Sauté over medium heat until shallots soften.
- Add Proper No. Twelve Whiskey and bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes. Deglaze the pan by stirring with a wooden spoon, incorporating any remaining bits from the steak.
- Add the beef stock and bring to high heat. Reduce the sauce by half (4-5 minutes).
- Mix in heavy cream and simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat, add remaining butter and whisk for 1-2 minutes. Salt to taste. Optional: Add any juice from resting steak and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour over steaks and serve—pairs best with a Proper on the Rocks!
Tod & Vixen’s Dry Gin 1651 Six Seeds ~ By Matt Piacentini at The Up & Up
- 1 oz Tod & Vixen’s Dry Gin 1651
- .75 oz Grapefruit Juice
- .5 oz Lemon Juice
- .5 oz Grenadine
- 2 Dash Peychaud’s
Directions: Shake with two Orange Peels. Strain into Coupe Glass and Top with Dry Sparkling Wine.
Seagram’s Sweet Tea Arnold Palmer
- 2 ozs of Seagram’s Sweet Tea Vodka
- 4 ozs of Lemonade
- Garnish with Mint and Lemons
Directions: Combine Seagram’s Sweet Tea Vodka and Lemonade over ice in a highball glass. Stir then garnish with mint and lemon
Seagram’s Vodka Summer Tea Jam
- 2 ozs Seagram’s Sweet Tea Vodka
- 1 oz lemon juice
- ½ oz simple syrup
- 1 bar spoon strawberry jam
Directions: Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients. Strain into your glass over fresh ice. Garnish & Enjoy!
Los Arango Strawberry Basil Paloma
- 2 ozs Los Arango Reposado
- 1 oz grapefruit juice
- ½ oz agave syrup
- 2 chopped strawberries
- 5 basil leaves
- Soda to top
- Smoked sea salt for rim
Directions: Rim your glass with smoked sea salt. Combine all ingredients except soda in a cocktail shaker with ice/ Shake to chill and combine ingredients. Fine strain into a hi-ball glass over fresh ice. Top with soda. Garnish & Enjoy!
Corralejo Tequila Spicy Grapefruit Sour
- 2 ozs Corralejo Reposado Tequila
- 1 oz grapefruit juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- ½ oz jalapeño simple syrup
- 1 egg white
Directions: Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients. Strain out ice and shake hard again. Strain into your glass. Garnish & Enjoy!
Corralejo Tequila Spicy Pineapple Paloma
- 2 ozs Corralejo Silver Tequila
- ½ oz grapefruit juice
- ½ oz lime juice
- ½ sliced Serrano pepper
- ¾ oz agave syrup
- Pineapple soda (to top)
- Tajín (for rim)
Directions: Rim your glass with Tajín. Add all ingredients except the bitters into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients. Strain into your glass over fresh ice. Top with pineapple soda. Garnish & Enjoy!
Zaya Sip and Sail
- 1 ⅕ oz Zaya Rum
- 1 ⅕ oz White Rum
- 2 oz. Lime Juice
- Muddled Blackberries and Raspberries
- 3 Dashes Allspice Dram
- 1 Egg White
Directions: Shake and strain into a coupe glass.