One of the biggest animated films in history, The Lion King, the coming-of-age masterpiece, filled with humor and heart, breathtaking animation and soul-stirring Academy Award®–winning music (1994: Best Original Score and Best Original Song, “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”), joins the highly celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection. The Lion King roared to its rightful place in the Walt Disney Signature Collection on Digital Aug. 15th and on Blu-ray™ Aug. 29th.
Audiences will fall in love all over again with the treasured classic, and a new generation of fans will laugh with Timon and Pumbaa, cry with Simba and Mufasa, burst into song, and find their place in the “Circle of Life.” The Walt Disney Signature Collection release includes over three hours of classic bonus material and exclusive, brand new features inviting viewers to sing along with the film’s award-winning music, observe recording sessions, step inside the story room, witness the evolution of a villain, and join Nathan Lane (voice of Timon) and Matthew Broderick (voice of Adult Simba) for an extended conversation regarding the legacy of “The Lion King.”
The Lion King was the very first Disney film that my oldest daughter watched when she was little and it became her ultimate favorite movie. She watched it (on VHS) every day…all day! Even now as she is grown and on her own, she still watches it regularly and when I told her that it was being released on Blu-ray and Digital, she was more than excited! As a long time family favorite Disney movie, The Lion King on Blu-ray (and Digital) was a welcome addition to our growing home entertainment collection.
1. Brand New Sing-Along Version
2. Audio Commentary – View the film with commentary by producer Don Hahn and co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
3. Visualizing a Villain – Against a backdrop of live dancers and the animated “Be Prepared” sequence, artist David Garibaldi paints a masterpiece of evil.
4. The Recording Sessions – Watch rare footage of the actors recording their roles, matched with the final animation. Intro by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
5. Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation – Nathan Lane (Timon) and Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) offer candid and hilarious insights into their Lion King experiences.
6. Inside the Story Room – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff present archival footage of five original story pitches.
1. Circle of Life – See how color creates emotion and meaning in the film’s iconic opening.
2. Simba & Nala – See how elements proposed in story meetings evolve into what appears onscreen.
3. Simba Takes Nala Out to Play – …And, sometimes what seems funny in story meetings never makes it into the film!
4. Hakuna Matata – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff sing, act and dance their hearts out as they pitch the “Hakuna Matata” sequence.
5. Rafiki and Reflecting Pool – Co-directors Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff pitch a sequence that became the emotional heart of The Lion King to Producer Don Hahn.
7. Music & More – Sing along to your favorite songs from the movie!
1. “Circle of Life”
2. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”
3. “Be Prepared”
4. “Hakuna Matata”
5. “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
1. Visual Development – Explore a gallery of striking artwork that inspired the movie’s look and feel.
2. Character Design – Trace the development of the film’s unforgettable characters through early concept art drawings.
3. Storyboards – Examine storyboards created in the development of “The Lion King.”
4. Layouts – Feast your eyes on layouts created in the development of “The Lion King.”
5. Backgrounds & Layouts – Journey through a gallery of landscape paintings that shaped the world of “The Lion King.”
9. Classic Bonus Features (Digital Only) – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as bloopers, audio commentary, deleted and alternate scenes, and in-depth journeys into the music, film, story, animals and stage show.