Happy National Tequila Day!
On this boozy holiday, cocktails are obviously going to be center stage but let’s also throw in a couple of food options to help celebrate the day. Take a look at the recipes and food choices below and whether you choose to celebrate at home with close friends or virtually, enjoy the day!
Avocado Margarita from WHOLLY AVOCADO ~ The margarita you know and love but with a twist — make it even better with some avocados!
- 2 (2-ounce) WHOLLY® AVOCADO Chunky Avocado Minis
- 2/3 cup frozen pineapple
- Juice 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 4 ounces tequila
- 1 cup ice
- To Salt Rim:
- 1 lime wedge
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
Directions: In a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients until smooth. Place salt on a plate. Rim two glasses with lime wedge then dip in salt to coat rim. Pour blended ingredients into the glasses.
Raspberry Chipotle Margarita from Spiceology, using Spiceology’s Raspberry Chipotle Spice Rub ~ This recipe for a Raspberry Chipotle Margarita is not only easy, but it’s incredibly delicious!
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons Raspberry Chipotle Spice Rub
- 4 ounces fresh Raspberries
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 2 ounces sweet and sour mix
Directions: In a small saucepan, add the agave syrup, raspberry chipotle rub, and the raspberries. Bring to a boil and reduce to low and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until berries begin to break down. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup. Set aside. In a martini shaker, add 2 ounces of the raspberry syrup and the remaining shots. Add ice and shake vigorously. Pour into ice-filled glasses rimmed with sugar, and serve.
Hibiscus Margarita from Spiceology, using Spiceology’s Hibiscus Flower Powder ~ It may sound fancy, and it is… but oh so easy to make and so delicious to drink.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon Hibiscus Flower Powder
- 4 oz Silver Tequila
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- Lime wedges
- Sea Salt (or other salt for rim)
- Candied Hibiscus Flowers (optional)
Directions: In a small pot, add the water, sugar, and hibiscus flower powder. Simmer over medium-low until the sugar has dissolved, do not boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Fill a martini shaker with ice. Add 4 ounces tequila, 3 ounces hibiscus simple syrup, 1/4 cup pomegranate juice, and juice of 2 lime wedges. Cover and shake vigorously.
Rim 2 glasses with gold salt and add a few cubes of ice. Pour the margarita over the ice and top with a candied hibiscus flower and a lime wedge and serve immediately.
For those looking for delish plant-based tacos, Loma Linda’s Taco Filling is what every National Tequila Day party needs 😊 Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, and lots of protein give this flavorful option the healthy credentials people are craving. Use it in the Layered Taco Dip or regular tacos – even meat-eaters will love it.
Layered Taco Dip ~ Layers of plant-based goodness that’s sure to be a hit at your next party! Serves 10
- 2 pouches Loma Linda Taco Filling
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 8 ounces guacamole, fresh or store-bought
- 1 cup plant-based sour cream
- 1 ½ cup salsa
- 1 ½ cup plant-based cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- ½ can corn (or fresh corn cut off the cob)
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla chips for dipping!
Directions: Heat the Taco Filling according to package directions and let cool slightly. In a large glass bowl, layer in this order: refried beans on the bottom, then guacamole, sour cream, salsa, cheese. Top with the Taco Filling. In a separate bowl, mix together black beans, corn, tomatoes, and cilantro. Add the black bean mixture as a border around the top of the dip, allowing the taco filling to be the star of the dish! Serve with tortilla chips and dig in at your next summertime gathering!
Tacos ~ Enjoy taco night the right way, with a 100% plant-based meat alternative. Makes 10 tacos.
- 1 can Loma Linda Taco Filling
- 10 crispy taco shells or flour tortillas
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Chopped lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced black olives
Directions: Heat taco filling in a large stove-top skillet or slow cooker. Spoon taco filling into crispy taco shells or flour tortillas. Sprinkle your favorite toppings over tacos and serve immediately.
Avocado Salsa ~ Prepare ahead and much on this delicious salsa all week long. It’s also a great party side!
- 6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (8-ounce) package WHOLLY® Diced Avocado
Directions: In medium bowl mix tomato, red onion, garlic, and cilantro. In a small bowl, mix lime juice, oil, salt, and pepper with whisk until blended; pour over tomato mixture. Stir to coat. Gently stir in avocado. Serve with chips.
- 2 Black bean burger patties
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo
- 5-6 radishes, sliced thin
- Desired WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Classic
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
Directions: See Black Bean Burger recipe. Heat patties (if needed) in the microwave, on high, for 2-3 minutes. Crumble black bean patty into pieces. Layer chips, crumbled patties, and cheese. Repeat and broil, on high, for 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Top with WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Classic and remaining ingredients.
- 2 Black bean burger patties
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup seasoned corn
- Desired WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Homestyle
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
Directions: See Black Bean Burger recipe. Heat patties (if needed) in the microwave, on high, for 2-3 minutes. Crumble black bean patty into pieces. Assemble tacos, starting with black bean patty crumbles. Top with WHOLLY® GUACAMOLE Homestyle and remaining ingredients.