These days there is no reason to pay full price at the grocery store so as you're planning your Thanksgiving feast, take a look at the tips below that will make it super easy to save money. Jeanette Pavini is Consumer Advocate and shopping expert for Coupons.com and has created a cheat sheet that will make it super easy to save on everything you holiday dinner.
Thanksgiving Grocery Savings Cheat Sheet:
What holiday food items are other shoppers saving money on? This confirms at a glance the items on your grocery list that you should not pay full price for.
- Baked Goods ~ 2.3 million coupons activated with 36.5 % annual savings
- Baking Supplies ~ 4.8 million coupons activated with 48.7% annual savings
- Cheese ~ 8.5 million coupons activated with 32.3% annual savings
- Confections ~ 3.7 million coupons activated with 38.9% annual savings
Six Holiday Feast Secret Saving Rules:
- Don't overdo it! Search online for a meat calculator. Enter the number of kids and adults and find out exactly how many pounds you will need. It will even tell you how much gravy and stuffing is necessary for the meal.
- Price matching can apply to turkeys too! For example, Safeway guarantees the lowest price on frozen turkeys and will match a competitor's price when you show them their ad or coupon.
- Build your menu around "loss leader" items. The prices of certain foods have gone up this holiday season, but grocery stores have "loss leaders" or items on sale at below cost that they use to lure you into the store. The good news is turkey is often a loss leader this time of year.
- Think beyond Turkey Day. As for a rain check even if a sale item won't be restocked by Thanksgiving Day. You still need to eat in December, so why not take advantage of those Thanksgiving deals.
- Raid the freezer. Dig into the depths of your freezer in search of leftover rolls or sliced bread like the often neglected end pieces. Thaw it out for Thanksgiving and use this bread hodgepodge to make stuffing.
- Use social media! Be sure to check out the Facebook and Twitter accounts for your favorite coupon sites, stores, and manufacturers. Many times, you will hear about upcoming sales and promotions before they are announced plus get special insider coupons!
Now that you've figured out how to save for the big meal, it's time to think about the Thanksgiving cocktails to serve to your guests. With distinctive cocktail recipes from 901 Tequila, Hornitos Tequila, Skinnygirl Cocktails, Pinnacle Vodka and Hard Rock Cafe, mixing up the perfect drink this holiday season is easier than stuffing a turkey and will come in handy after all of the meal preparations!
Skinnygirl Cranberry Cornucopia
- 1 1/2 parts Skinnygirl Bare Naked Vodka
- 3 parts cranberry juice
- 1 part orange juice
- Grapefruit for garnish
Preparation: Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and pour over ice. Garnish with grapefruit.
Pumpkin Pie Martini
- 1/2 part Pinnacle Whipped Vodka
- 1/2 part DeKuyper Buttershots Schnapps
- 1/2 part Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum
- 2 parts Half and Half
- 1/2 part Pumpkin Puree
- 1 dash Pumpkin Spice
- Whipped Cream
Preparation: Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with whipped cream.
- 1 1/2 parts Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila
- 1 1/2 parts fresh cranberry juice
- 3/4 fresh lime juice
- 1/2 part simple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Preparation: Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a highball glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a cranberry.
Apple Pie Margarita (can also be made pitcher-style for communal drinking)
- 1 part Sauza Gold
- 1/2 part DeKuyper Sour Apple Pucker Schnapps
- 3 parts apple juice
- 1/4 parts lime juice
- 1/4 parts simple syrup
- Apple Slice
Preparation: Add all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a glass. Garnish with an apple slice and cinnamon.
- 2 parts 901 Tequila
- 1 part sweet vermouth
- 2 drops Angostura bitters
- 2 drops liquid smoke
Preparation: Combine ingredients and stir over ice. Strain over ice in rocks glass. Garnish with orange peel.
Rush on the Rocks
- 2 1/2 ounces apple juice
- 1 1/2 ounces Crown Royal Maple Whiskey
- 1 1/2 ounces sweet and sour mix
- 3/4 ounce Monin Spiced Brown Sugar
- Speared Lemon Wedge
- Cajun seasoning for rim
Preparation: Coat mason jar rim with Cajun seasoning. Mix apple juice, Crown Royal Maple Whiskey, sweet and sour mix and Monin Spiced Brown Sugar in a shaker. Pour over ice and garnish with speared lemon wedge. Enjoy!