The torch has been lit and the summer games are finally here! While most of us can't be in Rio for the much anticipated Summer Olympics, we can still stay glued to our televisions, computers and other devices for the next few weeks and keep up with all of the action and events. Another option is to host an Olympics Viewing Party with friends and family. When planning your viewing party, be sure to include Hornitos Tequila's cool spin on Brazil's national drink for your cocktail of choice. The Caipiruila is the front-rummer for the gold and the perfect drink to sip while watching all of the Olympic action. You can also entertain your guests with a bit of Summer Olympic trivia to add to the excitement.
Fun Facts About This Year's Olympics:
1. Rio won the bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics in 2009, beating out Chicago, Madrid, and Tokyo.
2. 2016 is the first time in the history of the Olympics that a South American country has been the host to the games.
3. Golf will be returning to the Olympic event agenda after an 112-year absence.
4. Tickets to the Olympic events range from $40 to almost $3,000 with the most popular events being soccer, basketball, volleyball, and handball.
5. Olympic rules state that all competitors must have been born before January 1, 2003, but this year's events will feature Olympians born in the year 2000, with the youngest competitors participating in diving and gymnastics.
Now for the cocktail recipe to keep the party going!
- 1 1/2 parts Hornitos Plata Tequila
- 1 lime, quartered
- 3 tsp. sugar
- Splash of club soda
Preparation: Place lime and sugar into an old-fashioned glass and muddle the ingredients. Fill the glass with crushed ice and add Hornitos Plata Tequila. Add a splash of club soda and serve. Enjoy!