It seems as if there is always a reason to celebrate and with the Fourth of July right around the corner, it's time to begin making plans for your next gathering! Since 1941, when the 4th of July was declared a federal holiday, this special occasion has been one of fun, fireworks, food and tasty beverages. Celebrating our American independence not only means having some patriotic fun with friends and family but also spending the day in leisure, hopefully basking in the sunshine during the day then watching an amazing fireworks display to wrap up the festivities.
As you prepare for this fun-filled day, take a moment to check out some of the fun facts that go along with the Fourth of July and gain a bit of insight about Uncle Sam's birthday! Afterwards, make plans to mix up a tasty cocktail from Tanqueray Gin to get the party started properly!
- Did you know that only two men actually signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776? That's right! John Hancock and Charles Thompson.
- Fireworks were first used to celebrate the 4th of July in 1777. Congress decided to celebrate the first anniversary of this federal holiday by displaying them over Philadelphia along with bonfires and bells.
- 150 million hot dogs are consumed each 4th of July. Wow! That's a lot of hot dogs!
- Only 64% of Americans actually own an American Flag.
- Over 40 million Americans will travel at least 50 miles away from home for the 4th of July, with 3.21 million traveling by plane.
Now for a delicious cocktail recipe from Tanqueray No. TEN Gin! Enjoy and stay safe!
Tanqueray No. TEN Green Machine
- 1.25 ounces Tanqueray no. TEN Gin
- 3 ounces Green Juice (apple, lemon, etc...)
- Celery Stalk or Mint Sprig for garnish
Preparation: Blend greens, apple and lemon together to create a pressed green juice. Pour green juice into a glass and add Tanqueray No. TEN gin then stir. Garnish with a celery stalk or mint sprig.