Now that the "unofficial" start to summer has kicked off, we want to share a few summertime cocktail recipes to help you enjoy spending more time soaking in the sunshine and less time thinking about what drinks to mix up. If you're looking for a thirst-quenching beverage that cools you down, then try Hornitos Tequila's Nothing But Sunshine, High Tide or The Red Head. Each one is perfect for any backyard BBQ, pool party or even a trip to the beach.
For those taking a trip to the beach we've also rounded up a few tips to ensure that your trip is a breeze, stress free and nothing but fun!
- Sunscreen: Everyone these days is most likely aware that sunscreen is one of those must-have items for any outdoor activity or trip. Even if you aren't a fair-skinned person, loading up on the SPF is always recommended. Spray it on...rub it on...as long as it's on!
- Hydrate: Be sure to bring lots of water so that no one gets dehydrated. Pack a bunch of bottles in an ice chest so that they are easily accessible and to make sure the stay colder longer, simply freeze them the night before. They will stay nice and cold throughout most of the day!
- Protect your electronics: Devices are expensive so don't risk getting yours wet or filled with sand. Instead store them in plastic ziplock bags or a bag especially made for your device. Some of these bags are even waterproof!
- Hide your valuables: Of course, you don't want to bring lots of valuable items to the beach, but necessary items such as keys or money should be hidden well. Get creative and think beyond hiding them in your shoes...how about an empty food container or sunscreen bottle ~ or maybe a disposable diaper? (clean, of course!)
- Be comfortable: Bring your beach chairs, beach blanket, canopy or whatever else you need to sit comfortably on the beach throughout the day. Think ahead!
- Change of clothing: Bring a clean change of clothing for everyone. There's nothing worse than going home in wet, sandy clothes and after a long day in the sun and water, fresh clothes will feel awesome! Remember to bring plastic bags for the wet clothes and towels too!
The Red Head
- 2 parts Hornitos Plata Tequila
- 1 1/2 parts ginger beer
- 1 part fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 part honey
- 1/4 part all-spice
Preparation: Combine all-spice and honey in a shaker and stir. Combine remainder of ingredients into the shaker (excluding ginger beer) and add ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a Collins glass. Add ginger beer and garnish with a mint sprig.
Nothing But Sunshine
- 1 1/2 parts Hornitos Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 part grapefruit juice
- 1/2 part simple syrup
- 1/4 part fresh lime juice
- Fresh basil leaves
Preparation: Lightly muddle 3-5 fresh basil leaves in a shaker and combine remainder of ingredients then add ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a sprig of fresh basil leaves.
- 1 1/4 parts Hornitos Plata Tequila
- 1/2 part fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 part simple syrup
- Splash of seltzer
Preparation: Muddle one strawberry in a shaker, combine the remainder of the ingredients (excluding seltzer) and add ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice. Add a splash of seltzer and garnish with a strawberry. Enjoy!