With Veteran's Day coming up this week, it's a time to reflect on those who have sacrificed to provide the freedom that we have become accustomed to having. Do you have a hero in your life? Is this person a member of the military? Tell us about them...
WOMEN’S FIRSTS IN THE ARMED FORCES
* 1985 – Penny Harrington was appointed as Chief of Police of the Portland Police Bureau, making her the first woman to lead a major–city police department.
* 1991 – Congress authorizes women to fly in combat missions.
* 1993 – Congress authorizes women to serve on combat ships.
* 2000 – Kathleen McGrath became the first woman to command a warship at sea.
* 2004 – Colonel Linda McTague becomes the first woman commander of a fighter squadron in U.S. Air Force history.
* 2008 – Ann E. Dunwoody is the first female four–star general in the U.S. Army.
* 2014 – Michelle J. Howard began her assignment as the U.S. Navy's first female and first female African–American four–star admiral on July 1, 2014.
* 2015 – Capt. Kristen Griest and 1st Lt. Shaye Haver are the first female soldiers to graduate from the school for the Army Rangers.