Happy Thanksgiving to All of You!!!
I hope you enjoy this day with special friends and family and remember to give thanks!
- The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was first held in 1924...featuring animals from Central Park Zoo and Macy's employees
- The actual "Pumpkin Pie" was not recorded until 1796, and was actually called "Pompkin Pie"
- The "Wishbone" originated with an ancient civilization called The Etruscans in Italy
- Did you know that only Male Turkeys gobble? It's true...they do it to attract hens during mating season and Wild Turkeys tend to gobble even more!
- The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted 3 days...Wow!
- Cranberries got their name from the Pilgrims, who called them "craneberries" because the drooping pink blossoms in the spring reminded them of a crane.
- Although proclaimed a holiday by George Washington, Thanksgiving was not celebrated as a regular holiday until 1863, when Abraham Lincoln proclaimed it a regularly celebrated national holiday.
- The average Turkey has between 3000 and 3500 feathers!