Unjunk Your Junk Food-Healthy Alternative to Conventional Snacks
Have you ever looked at the labels on the food that you buy in the grocery store? I mean really look? Would you know what you're looking for? Well, I thought I did. Not only was I surprised at some of the poor choices I had been making for my family, but shocked at a few items that I thought were ok!
The book lists ingredients on a chart called "The Scary Seven". They are as follows:
- HFCS: High Fructose Corn Syrup (AKA glucose-fructose in Canada)
- TRANS-FATS: Anything listed as "partially hydrogenated" or "hydrogenated" (this includes vegetable shortening)
- MSG: Monosodium glutamate
- ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS: Any artificial flavoring
- ARTIFICIAL COLORS:Any type of artificial dyes
- ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS: Chemical sweeterners including Aspartame, Splenda (sucralose), Ace-K (Acesulfame Potassium), Saccharine, etc.)
- PRESERVATIVES: Polysorbate 60, 65 & 80, TBHQ, Sodium Benzoate, BHA, BHT, Sulfur Dioxide (sulfates).
- Peanut Butter (my favorite brand!). This product contained Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil. I guess I should have known this one, but was totally unaware, as the taste is delicious.
- Ranch Style Beans. Aren't beans supposed to be healthy? The can actually boasts the healthy aspects of buying this product, but after looking at the ingredients, I found they contained Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oil.
- Ken's Italian Dressing. This just always sounds so "fresh" to me! But alas, the "bad" ingredients I found were Sodium Benzoate and Calcium Disodium.